Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Blog Or Blog Not. There Is No Try

Don't you just hate it when people tell you they've been too busy to blog? I don't, of course, because I love everybody and if I have one specialty, it's listening attentively with an (apparently) sympathetic look on my face, a skill even more valuable in the long run, I have found, than a fluent familiarity with the rules of appellate litigation.

But I do have many irons in the fire, some of which are related to blogging: an essay about Cecil B. DeMille, with sidebar essays about silent character actor Theodore Roberts and screenwriter Jeanie Macpherson; a review of The Testament of Judith Barton, a retelling of Vertigo from the Kim Novak character's point of view, authorized by the Hitchcock estate (read KC's review here); a big project unrelated to the movies that I need to get into shape by Thursday evening; Washington Nationals baseball; a pending visit to Katie-Bar-The-Door's beloved family; a pending visit from my beloved family. Etc. Not to mention that my literary agent asked me to dig up a copy of one of my old novels—one I have not so much as laid eyes on in six years—so she can submit it to some new editors.

Busy.

With luck, the Cecil B. DeMille essay will be up tomorrow. But in the meantime, why not amuse yourself with a new poll: Which of these silent movies would be your choice for best picture of 1924? Your choices: Greed, The Last Laugh, The Navigator, Sherlock, Jr., The Thief of Bagdad, "other" and "I have not seen any movie made in 1924."

I've got my money on the latter.

6 comments:

theduckthief said...

Sometimes things come up and the blogging schedule goes out the window. I know my schedule was thrown off last week due to work. In terms of schedules though, I would rather read a quality blog post that a quantity of blah posts.

As for 1924, I voted for Sherlock as it's the only one I've seen.

KC said...

I loved the Barton book! I'm looking forward to your review.

Ginger Ingenue said...

I've seen movies made in 1924, but I'm not sure it was any of those movies. :)

...

Too busy to blog, huh? ;)

I think there is such a thing as 'try'.

I TRY to blog...I'm trying right now, despite running a fever, and the kid running a fever, and the keyboard's probably running a fever...

I think your blog is excellent. And it's fine to not post for a while. As long as you always come back, and are proud of what you're posting.

I'm interested in this book you're gonna review; I've never heard of it, but I like the thought of Vertigo from Miss Gray Suit's view.

...

I'm sorry I missed your last round of Oscars, and the blogathon back in March.

I need to start digging through your archives, now that I'm back, and you're gonna be absent more. ;)

It gives me a chance to catch up...

Thomas Paine said...

It's pussies like you that are dragging this country down, you monkey!

Woe is me; I'm just too busy. . . !

Well SUCK IT UP, mister.

What time do you go to bed? Stay up an hour later! What time do you wake up? Get up an hour earlier.

Keep following that formula every day, and your blogging will come together tout de suite!


Now about your choices: what kind of year has to pit Steamboat Bill against Thief of Bahgdghdadaghdab?


NO year, that's what year! So this choice should be EASY!


Do you sense I'm off the rails? It's all these attacks on our liberty, I tells ya

Thomas Paine said...

And as for the hours of sleep: you can just guess that I followed my own formula

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Sleep? Sleep? The Monkey don't need no steenkin sleep! Where's my Monkey fix??!! I want my Monkey fix EVERY day or I want my money BACK!

Mike Royko was famous for tossing guys a quarter when they bitched about his columns -- "hey, shithead, here's your money back"