Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Silent Oscars: January 1—July 31, 1927 (Unofficial)

The first year of the Academy Awards covered films released between August 1, 1927 and July 31, 1928. Thus the oddly truncated Silent Oscar award season for 1927.

Plenty of good movies to choose from, though.

By the way, the Lon Chaney movie, The Unknown, is relatively unknown (hardy har har), but is actually a better showcase of his acting than The Hunchback of Notre Dame or The Phantom of the Opera. Not to mention it's the most macabre version of O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi" ever. Directed by the great Tod Browning (Dracula, Freaks), it's must-see movie watching.

Just make sure you've tamped your lunch down tightly ahead of time.

Picture: Metropolis (prod. Erich Pommer)

Actor: Lon Chaney (The Unknown)

Actress: Clara Bow (It)

Director: Fritz Lang (Metropolis)

Supporting Actor: Rudolf Klein-Rogge (Metropolis)

Supporting Actress: Brigitte Helm (Metropolis)

Screenplay: Thea von Harbou, from her novel (Metropolis)

6 comments:

Douglas Fairbanks said...

That no-talent hack Chaney can kiss my suspenders.


I can't abide that man. . . .

Mythical Monkey said...

I saved him for last because I knew you'd bail otherwise.

Alex Jowski said...

Hey, great picks! Metropolis deserves top honors here - one of the best films ever.

Paul said...

It's about time Fritz was properly recognized by the illustrious academy. Thanks for hosting these magnificent awards.

mister muleboy said...

Looking ahead: Carole Lombard is *so* ably represented today on the Gunslinger

Dawn said...

I wanted to stop by and thank you for being so supportive while I was having some serious health problems. It has really helped me in my recovery.


I saw the silent film, Metropolis, for the first time last year. I agree.. deserves top honors.